Question about terminal input buffering

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Feb 13 05:23:16 AEST 1991

 >The behavior when more than a certain amount of canonical tty input is
 >buffered up without a new-line is documented in your UNIX Programmer's
 >Reference Manual or Adminstrator's Reference Manual.  The behavior
 >varies across different UNIX implementations.  One typical one is to
 >just beep and discard everything typed to that point.

I've never seen that one.  I have seen the "traditional" UNIX behavior
of silently discarding everything typed to that point, and the "modern"
UNIX behavior (lifted from various DEC operating systems by Berkeley; it
appears in S5R4 as well) of beeping and discarding the character typed
but leaving the rest of the data in the line intact.