How determine if a file is opened by another process

Andrew Patrick andrew at calvin.doc.ca
Sat Feb 2 01:43:59 AEST 1991

In article <1969 at winnie.fit.edu> rrandall at zach.fit.edu (Rick Randall) writes:

>In article <1991Jan29.204403.6071 at rick.doc.ca> andrew at calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) writes:
>>In article <1488 at nixsin.UUCP> koerber.sin at nixdorf.com writes:
>>
>>>I want to find out, whether any process has opened a file, of which I only
>>>Could anyone pls give me a hint ?. Maybe it's in a table in the kernel ?
>>
>>I need to know this too!
>>

>	ANSWER:  man fuser

Nice answer:

	calvin.doc.ca /home/andrew> man fuser
	No manual entry for fuser.
"calvin.doc.ca" is a Sun running SunOS 4.0.3c

	dgbt.doc.ca /usr/users/u0/patrick> man fuser
	No manual entry for fuser.
"dgbt.doc.ca" is a VAX running Ultrix 3.1

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.       Department of Communications, Ottawa, CANADA
andrew at calvin.doc.CA