Finger

uunet!bria!mike uunet!bria!mike
Sun Feb 17 06:53:50 AEST 1991

In an article, Min-Zhi Shao wrote:
|When I fingered our system administrator, I got the following result: [...]
|the .plan file in his home directory looks like:
|
|prw-r--r--  1 gardella        0 Feb 15 23:48 /home/cets/gardella/.plan
|
|I found it really interesting.  Does anybody up there know what does the
|"p" mean and how it works?

This means that his plan file is actually a named pipe (FIFO), and no doubt
there is a daemon sitting on the other end of that pipe handing back the
information you're reading.
--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles| Opinions stated are not even my own.
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike