HP-UX: Looking for Opinions (I *know* you've all got them....)

Laird P. Broadfield lairdb at crash.cts.com
Tue Feb 19 14:23:01 AEST 1991

Here's the situation:  We're looking at acquiring a *ix system here, for
evaluation (i.e. do we want to migrate our turnkey app.) and education
(i.e. all these DOS-heads need to be exposed to the real world.)

The front runners seem to be Interactive SVR4 (when they get their act
together and will sell it) and Dell's SVR4.  However, out of the pack
we have a dark horse: HP-UX (funny, that sounds like what my dorm-mates
used to say after about the 8th kamikaze....)

Opinion time:
  What do you think of HP-UX?
  Why?
  Is that an insulated opinion, or is that versus one of the others?
  Having gotten that off your chest, have you actually used it, or are
   you speaking from the rumor-mill?
  Is there a polite way to pronounce "HP-UX"?

Part of the problem here is that (except for a friend's Xenix I rn on) my
own UNIX experience is all 4.2BSD running on big iron.  So, I'm a little
short of experience to compare it to.  Thanks.