Need a backup utility with compression

Peter Steele peter at aucs.AcadiaU.ca
Fri Feb 22 10:23:48 AEST 1991

Is there a PD backup utility like tar or cpio that backs up files and
compresses them at the same time? We've found a commercial package called
bru that does this, but it's pretty pricey for our systems ($2000US). I've
tried to think of how I could incorporate Unix's own compress utility
along with tar but I can't see a workable solution. The compress operation
has to be an inherent part of the backup process. Any one know of something
that might do the trick? Note: Preferably for System V Unix. Thanks.

--
Peter Steele      Acadia Univ.   Canada  B0P 1X0   peter at auad.AcadiaU.CA
Software Analyst  Wolfville, NS  902-542-2201x121  peter at Acadia.BITNET