Unix files

Greg Hunt hunt at dg-rtp.rtp.dg.com
Sat Feb 2 02:13:05 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan31.171241.3557 at cs.wayne.edu>, alm at athena.cs.wayne.edu (Allaoua Maamir) writes:
> Is there a way (other than writing my own device driver)
> to be able to store two files contiguosly on disck.
> ( I am not very much experirnced with Unix, please reply in
> simple vocabulary). Any help would be very much appreciated.
> Thanks.

Not that I know of.  And in general, you usually don't have to care.
The filesystems in OS's that I'm familiar with do a pretty good job,
on average, of placing files on the disk in a reasonable manner.
Unless you're doing something quite special, like writing real-time
software that requires minimum delays from the filesystem, you
probably don't really need to have the two files stored contiguously
on the disk.

I hope this makes sense.  If not, having a better explaination of
what you're trying to accomplish by placing the files contiguously
would make it easier to respond.

Greg Hunt                        Internet: hunt at dg-rtp.rtp.dg.com
DG/UX Kernel Development         UUCP:     {world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!hunt
Data General Corporation
Research Triangle Park, NC, USA  These opinions are mine, not DG's.