Master/Slave Processes?

I Reid eonu24 at castle.ed.ac.uk
Sat Feb 9 08:54:19 AEST 1991

libes at cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) writes:

>In article <1991Feb08.085034.13605 at ariel.unm.edu> mdiehl at hydra.unm.edu (J. Michael Diehl) writes:
>>I am trying to spawn a process and be able to write to it's stdin and
>>read from it's stdout.  Pipe, Exec, System don't seem to do the trick.
>>Any ideas?

>Expect includes a C/C++ library that has such a function.  See the FAQ
>for more info.

Another way to do it would be to use pseudo terminals (assuming that you
are using a Berkeley based system). As far as I know, this technique
lets you talk to a program (running in/as a child process) by pretending
to be its standard input and output and, as far as it is concerned, you
are! You'll need to get someone to fill you in on all the details if
this option is available to you 'cos I've only just started playing
around with these beasts and my information on them is limited.

Hope this helps,
               Iain