questions [Re: comp.unix.wizards-in-their-own-minds]

Ozan Yigit oz at yunexus.yorku.ca
Thu Feb 28 05:29:40 AEST 1991

In article <22886 at hydra.gatech.EDU>
ccastc2 at prism.gatech.EDU (Benjamin H. Cowan) writes:

>  I encourage anybody who can read this message to post every question
>concerning UNIX that they can think of to this newgroup.  It does not matter
>if it is simply or complex.  I just absolutely love to see all the
>electionically-inflated egos just get so bent over backwards in a childish
>uproar just because somebody invaded their private sanctum with what they
>think is a stupid and meaningless question.

It does not take an electronically inflated ego to see that you are being
silly, and there exists other newsgroups (comp.unix.questions for example)
for questions that simply don't belong in this newsgroup. On the other
hand, one may also take a highly irregular approach to obtaining answers for
various UNIX-related questions by carefully reading the FAQ texts and other
UN*X literature [see listing] instead of posting something somewhere.

>The only "stupid" question is the one that isn't asked.

There are multitudes of ways to ask a question. Posting to this here
net in the appropriate place is only one way.

oz
---
SunOS: How do you spell relief?	     | internet: oz at nexus.yorku.ca
rm -rf /usr/openwin /usr/etc/yp*     | uucp: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz
---

%T The AWK Programming Language
%A Al Aho
%A Brian Kernighan
%A Peter Weinberger
%I Addison Wesley
%D 1988

%T Advanced C Programming for Displays
%A Marc J. Rochkind
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1988

%T Advanced UNIX Programming
%A Marc J. Rochkind
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1985

%T The C Programming Language, First Edition
%A Brian W. Kernigan
%A Dennis M. Ritchie
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1978

%T The C Programming Language, Second Edition
%A Brian W. Kernigan
%A Dennis M. Ritchie
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1988

%T C Traps and Pitfalls
%A Andrew Koenig
%I Addison-Wesley
%D 1988

%T C: A Reference Manual, 2nd Edition
%A Samuel P. Harbison
%A Guy L. Steele Jr.
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1987

%T Checking C programs with lint
%A Ian Darwin
%I O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
%D 1988

%T Compiler Design in C
%A Allen I. Holub
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1990

%T Data Structures and C Programs.
%A Christopher Van Wyk
%D 1988

%T The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD Unix Operating System
%A Samuel J. Leffler
%A Marshall Kirk McKusick
%A Michael J. Karels,
%A John S. Quarterman
%I Addison-Wesley
%D 1989
%K BSD-Internals

%T The Design of the Unix Operating System
%A Maurice J. Bach
%I Prentice-Hall

%T Internetworking with TCP/IP
%A Douglas Comer
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1988

%T The Kornshell, Command and Programming Language
%A David G. Korn
%A Morris I. Bolsky
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1989

%T Life With UNIX
%A Don Libes
%A Sandy Ressler
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1989

%T Numerical Recipes in C, The Art of Scientific Computing
%A William H. Press,
%A Brian Flannery
%A Saul Teukolsky
%A William Vetterling
%I Cambridge University Press
%D 1988

%T Operating  Systems, Design  and Implementation
%A Andrew S. Tanenbaum
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1987

%T Operating System Design, The XINU approach
%A Douglas Comer
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1984

%T Portable C Software
%A Mark Horton
%I Prentice Hall
%D 1990

%T Portable C and UNIX System Programming
%A J. E. Lapin
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1987

%T Software Tools
%A Brian W. Kernighan
%A P. J. Plauger
%I Addison-Wesley
%D 1976

%T UNIX Network Programming
%A Richard W. Stevens
%I Prentice Hall
%D 1990

%T The UNIX Programming Environment
%A Brian W. Kernighan
%A Rob Pike
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1984

%T UNIX System Administration Handbook
%A Evi Nemeth
%A Garth Snyder
%A Scott Seebass
%I Prentice Hall
%D 1989

%T UNIX System: Readings and Applications
%A AT&T
%I Prentice-Hall
%D 1987