command line shown by ps

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Fri Feb 22 05:10:49 AEST 1991

In article <JOCKC.91Feb20103537 at hammer.idsila.com> jockc at hammer.idsila.com (PRIV Account) writes:
>How can a process change or obscure the command line that
>ps (and other programs like w or whodo) show for it?

Well, on SYSV.3 there's a field in the user struct called u_psargs which holds
the args passed by exec to execute a given process.  These show up as the
command field in ps listings.  You need to be root to write to the user struct,
unless of course you are running ISC or ESIX ;^(.  I don't know how this is
done on berzerkley based systems like Ultrix.

Arthur W. Neilson III		| INET: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art