MIT SHM extensions

Simon Leinen simon at gmdtub
Sat Feb 9 04:59:17 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 30 Jan 91 15:48:13 GMT, mef at police.rutgers.edu (Marc E.
>>>>> Fiuczynski) said:

Marc> Can someone explain to me what the MIT SHM extensions are.  Just
Marc> point me to the proper man pages would be enough, but if you
Marc> have the time a little more info wouldn't hurt.

This question belongs in comp.windows.x.

MIT-SHM is an extension to the X window system protocol which is
handled by the default configuration of the sample server from MIT
(and probably other vendors' servers, too).  You can find out about
this by typing `xdpyinfo' to your X display:

	number of extensions:    4
	    SHAPE
>>>	    MIT-SHM
	    Multi-Buffering
	    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD

The MIT-SHM extension provides a fast transfer method for pixmap data
for clients that run on the same machine as the server.  I don't know
about any programs that use it, but SHM should be beneficial for
animation programs or so.
--
Simon.