attaching a job, changing the tty of a process

Oliver Laumann net at opal.cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Feb 28 02:21:15 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb27.034224.8021 at Neon.Stanford.EDU> hitt at Neon.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Hitt) writes:
> Given a job running on a terminal, how can it be moved to another terminal?
>
> For example, person A may be running some interactive program P on
> terminal X, when person B comes up and needs to use terminal X.

The `screen' window manager that was posted to comp.sources.misc long
ago and is now available via FTP on prep.ai.mit.edu (gnu/screen-2.1.tar.Z)
has a function to `detach' processes running under control of screen
and to resume them at a later point in time (possibly on a different
terminal).

--
Oliver Laumann    net at tub.cs.tu-berlin.de  net at tub.UUCP  net at pogo.ai.mit.edu

PS: I can't believe that Dan Berstein hasn't posted another plug for
`pty' yet; there must be something wrong with our newsfeed :-)