Timeout with write

satish paranjpe satish at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu
Sat Feb 2 02:58:34 AEST 1991

Hi !
  I have a question regarding the write system call. I have a client
and a server model implemeted on Sun 4s . The server and the client
communicate with write and read to the sockets after a connection
is established. My program works fine. The question I have is--
What happens if the client executes a write and for some reason
(say heavy traffic on the net) it takes a long time to reach the
server. Does the write system call report any timeout errors ?
Right now I schedule an alarm and catch it to determine that
the net is busy and the write has to be tried again . Is there a
better way of doing it ?
Please reply by email.
Thanks

Satish.