(Summary ) Looking for Mail servers SOFTWARE (clarification)

Michael H. Morse mmorse at z.nsf.gov
Tue Feb 12 05:11:20 AEST 1991

Thanks to all who replied.  Here's the original message:

> Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the various mail
> servers?  (You send them mail, they send you a document or other
> file.)
>
>    DECWRL server?
>    NETLIB server?
>    Multihouse research server?
>    KISS?
>    B-Server?
>
> Any others?

For those of you who didn't see it, I've enclosed Dave Shaver's review
of the various packages.  I haven't had time to check them all out, and
some may have changed since Dave's review, but it's probably all we've
got right now.

Many thanks to Ray Smith <rcsmith at anagld.analytics.com> who sent me copies
of DECWRL, Multihouse, and KISS.  He didn't tell me where he got them, but
if you write him he might send them to you too.

For Netlib:

> From: kim h simmons <simmons at nucst4.neep.wisc.edu>
>
> The netlib server software is also available from netlib.
> Send mail to netlib at research.att.com i think, having as the message
>   send index

For B-Server:

>From the original author of B-server:

> From: Budi Rahardjo <rahardj at ccu.umanitoba.ca>
>
> Try anonymous ftp to 128.186.3.15 under "servers" directory.
>
> -- budi (I wish I have time to update my b-server)

I tried ftp, but I never could get connected!  Don't know if the
problem is at my end or theirs.  And more on B-Server:

> From: Cliff Tuel <ctuel at polyslo.calpoly.edu>
>
> B-server was written by Budi Rahardjo, rahardj at ccu.umanitoba.ca or
> rahard at ee.umanitoba.ca.  It's not well documented, but
> it does the job.  I totally overhauled it and gave it several new features.
> I can send you a copy if you like, but I'm not releasing it to the public
> just yet.

I hope you don't mind my making your message public Cliff (slightly
edited)!  Budi seems to indicate that b-server could use some work, and
I figure if you'd send me a copy, you might be willing to send copies
to others.

General comments:

Thanks to Ed Vielmetti who suggested using the archie server to locate
software:

> suggest that you use this:
>
> telnet quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
> login archie
> prog netlib                   ;; this is a regexp, e.g.
> prog [Nn]et[Ll]ib
>
> useful service (in general)

I agree with Ed that archie is useful.  However, it is somewhat slow, and
as the regular expression above indicates, you need to know exactly what
you are looking for, i.e. the actual file names of the programs.  In my
case, where I had generic names, like "Multihouse research server", it
wasn't that useful.  (But the price is right!)

Thanks again to all who replied.  Many people thought I was asking for a
list of sites providing the service, rather than the software, and I got
some amazing long lists of sites that offer either a document server like I
was looking for or anonymous ftp. That wasn't what I was looking for, but
it was interesting!

--Mike

Dave Shaver's review: