More uucico problems

Chris Lewis clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
Wed Feb 13 07:56:11 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb10.184933.17047 at demon.co.uk> cliff at demon.co.uk (Cliff Stanford) writes:
>In article <1991Feb8.231342.23814 at cs.umn.edu> ianhogg at cs.umn.edu (Ian J. Hogg) writes:
>>imsg >SkunkWrk^M^M^J^M^J^MWelcome to SCO System V/386^M^J^M^M^M^JSkunkWrk!login: ^PSrathe -x9LOGIN FAILED - failed
>>exit code 101
>>Conversation Complete: Status FAILED

>>Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

>	Usually this seems to be that either the terminal or the user account
>has got locked (SCO Security).  Get the sysadmin on the SCO box to check
>these out.

Possible.  But the rest of the log seems to indicate that Ian's machine
*did* manage to log in: the Shere=skunkwr came from the SCO systems's
uucico, and Ian's machine did seem to respond with "Hi, I'm so-and-so"
(S<I disremember - not in this excerpt> -x9).

SCO security wouldn't have let him in that far.  Neither would a bum password.

Other's have suggested skunkwr's motd and other gunge was too long.
Yes, HDB will sometimes say "Enough already" and drop the line.
But again, this would not have had the "S<Ian's machine> -x9" line either.

It's more suggestive that the SCO system said, after Ian's machine told
it who it was, "I don't know who you are, go AWAY!".  Eg: Ian's machine
isn't in the SCO's Permissions/Systems/L.sys/USERFILE
or whatever.  An examination of skunkwr's logs (particularly the stuff
under ".Admin" if it's HDB) will probably show this.  Many versions of
uucico will place a "You are unknown to me" into the logs, on both
sides of the attempted connection, or sometimes in the uustat -m output.

Good luck.
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis; Ferret Mailing List:
(ferret-request at eci386); Psroff (not Adobe Transcript) enquiries:
psroff-request at eci386, current patchlevel is *7*.