.exinit file in VI

Bill Wohler wohler at sapwdf.UUCP
Wed Feb 20 03:13:52 AEST 1991

ehmeier at immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Erich Meier) writes:
>bguthy at amazon.eecs.umich.edu (Bala S. Guthy) writes:

>>Hello Netlanders, I have a simple question about vi, hope
>>there is a simple answer. How do I make read my .exinit file
>>in the $HOME directory?

>You have to name the file ".exrc" and put it in your home.
>The ex or vi will read it automatically at initialisation.

  to slim down on startup time reading .exrc, put the vi stuff in
  an environment variable called EXINIT.

  zum biespiel in csh:
  setenv EXINIT \
  "set ai terse redraw wm=10|map , ^^|map V :%s/_^V^V^H//g|map ^X :w^M^Z"

  those are actual control characters in there (anyone know how to put
  control characters in without actually having control characters?).

						--bw
						wohler at sap-ag.de