File descriptors open info

Hurf Sheldon hurf at theory.tn.cornell.edu
Wed Feb 27 08:31:45 AEST 1991

One of my users asks:

	Hurf,

	is there a Unix system call (or some other method) for
	finding out how many file descriptors a process has
	open?

I can't seem to find anything readily available - the kernal
must keep this info as part of the per process stats. My
man -k doesn't come up with anything and some other rooting
around was similarly fruitless.  I have seen some monitor
programs have these stats but how do you access it. I would
be interested in info on any version of unix - our specific
environments are risc-Ultrix 4.xx and HP-UX 7.xx

Thanks,
hurf

     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf at theory.tn.cornell.edu
     Program of Computer Graphics	 Phone:   607 255 6713

     580 Eng. Theory Center, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853