Help! There's a slash '/' in my filename.

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Feb 24 14:55:34 AEST 1991

>(I teach people that come from Macs to UNIX. It takes a long time to get
>used to _not_ putting a space in a name.)

Of course, depending on the software you're running, you may not have to
worry about putting spaces in names in UNIX.  Dunno if the Sun File
Manager, or X.desktop, or Looking Glass, or whatever, make it hard to
manipulate files with spaces in their names, but I just successfully
created such a file with MicroEMACS, and sometimes created them
(deliberately) with the CCI OFFICEPOWER software.  It's a pain to deal
with them in traditional UNIX command-line interfaces, but most if not
all of them do allow quoting of such names.