getting 'more' to not count termcap formatting strings

Roger Gonzalez rg at msel.unh.edu
Fri Feb 8 02:17:00 AEST 1991

I wrote a termcap based hex file dump program that works really well, and
has lots of features, but it would be nice to be able to pipe the output
through 'more'.   'more' screws up because its count of characters coming
into it isn't the same as what actually gets shown on the screen.  Is there
a standard way to do this?  I had thought about sending all the termcap
stuff to standard error, but then I realized I would have to flush
stderr's buffer after every formatting string to keep the output properly
interlaced (and it didn't seem that this would even necessarily be adequate
to keep the order correct.)  'more' handles underlining fine, but that's
programmed into it.  Am I out of luck?

-Roger

--
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
 than the question of whether a submarine can swim" - Edsgar W. Dijkstra