Lost Root password.

ack!phft!barf! ack at ecst.csuchico.edu
Tue Feb 12 20:18:01 AEST 1991

In article <1839 at netmbx.UUCP> mds at netmbx.UUCP (Michael Such) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I've got a problem.
>
>We have an intel 320 running Xenix (3.5)
>We've (well they) lost the root password! I have the original installation tape
>but I don't want to reinstall everything, we also have a couple of
>other 320's around so I could make a boot disk/tape.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanx for any imput.
>
>Mike
>--
>                              Mike Such
>                       NETMBX - Berlin, Germany

I can understand the problem since we had a similar one here in Chico.  We
had a bunch of Convergent Technologies Miniframes that had been off for a
little while and no one knew the root passwords for them.  We did have a
floppy boot disk though.  So what we did was we booted the system from
floppy, mounted the hard drive manually, and edited the password file,
taking out the root password.

			I hope this helps.
					ack (aka Andy Santoro).