SUMMARY: vi gives unknown terminal message

Edward P. Ratazzi ratazzie at lonex.radc.af.mil
Sat Feb 2 06:42:56 AEST 1991

--> The original question:

> Recently, I added some new termcap entries to the end of our
> /etc/termcap file.  Everything seems to work O.K. with these
> terminals, EXCEPT vi.  When vi is started, we get an 'Unknown
> terminal type' message.  The terminal name IS in /etc/termcap.
> Where else does vi look?  What might be the problem?

--> The summary:

First of all, I'm apologize for not saying what type of UNIX I'm
using - it's SunOS 4.1.1 (*recently* upgraded from 4.0.3).  Lucky
for me, most of you were smart enough to guess that correctly.

Anyway, the solution was that in SunOS 4.1 & up, vi uses the
terminfo database and NOT the termcap database.  What I had to
do was to convert my new termcap entries to terminfo entries
(using /usr/5bin/captoinfo) and then compile the resulting terminfo
source code into the database (using /usr/5bin/tic).

Thanks to those who responded (as of Fri, 1 Feb 91, 14:30:00 EST):

	fwp1 at CC.MsState.Edu
	Kevin Meek <cti1!kmeek at uunet.UU.NET>
	gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn)
	Carl.Johnson at UK.Sun.COM (Carl Johnson - Sun EHQ - MIS)
	guy at auspex.com (Guy Harris)
	andyb at coat.com (Andy Behrens)
	gln at mayo.EDU (Glen Niebur)
	jba at gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B.Andersen)
        art at pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson)

--
E. Paul Ratazzi                                |      ratazzie at lonex.radc.af.mil
Microelectronics Reliability Division          |            COMPMAIL:  e.ratazzi