uugetty bugs and uutty usage.

Darrell Tschakert darrell at eeocdt.UUCP
Sun Feb 24 23:52:32 AEST 1991

The System:
	NCR Tower 600 (68020 at 16Mh)
	V.2 UNIX (NCR Ver 2.01.02)
	2 Meg Memory, 140 Meg Hard Drive, floppy, & tape
	8 ports + console and diagonstic_port
	Terminals: Wyse 75, Wyse 150
	Modems: (IN) USR V.32, USR HST 1440
		(OUT) Tblzr+, USR HST 1440

The uugetty supplied with this version of NCR's UNIX does not work
properly. It has bugs that are admitted to by NCR. I don't have first
hand experience with the program, but other people at my agency do
and NCR admits to it problems. I understand that it will allow
one to dial in once and dial out once but from then on its locked up.
NCR says that it does work with one or two modems. One modem is an AT&T
brand modem, which makes sense considering that AT&T wrote it.

I have seen uugetty installed on other systems that I have dialed into
but have never discussed this with the system administrators of these
systems. Last week I dialed into an NCR 700 with a more current version
of UNIX which had a uugetty running so perhaps they have it working on
the newer releases.

Can anyone tell me of first hand experience with using uugetty for
dial in and dial out on the same modem/port? NCR or any other UNIX
machine.

I have the source for uutty which is contained in USENET's archives
I have compiled it and used it briefly on a dial out port. It seemed
to work but then I got side tracked and haven't had time to experiment
more.  It seems to be a well thought out bit of code.

Has anyone had any experience with uutty? How did it work for you?
If you have used it, would you give me the /etc/inittab line for the
port using uutty as in, in/out, and out? Also the dialer's entry for
same?

Since I have never used uugetty, I have never taken the time to figure
the switch settings for a dial in/out modem. Would someone give me
the dial in/out switch settings and dialers entries for one or more
of the following modems:
	USR HST
	USR V.32
	Multi Tech 224E5