Give me your strings.

Cameron Laird cl at lgc.com
Wed Feb 13 01:47:38 AEST 1991

I want to be able to type

	show_me_source_strings source1.c source2.c

and receive something like

	source1.c:	"This is a string in the C-source source1.c"
	source1.c:	"I'm a string too, passed to the function %s.\n""
	source1.c:	"I initialize a char *.";
	source2.c:	"Me too; I'm in the string-space of this program."
	source2.c:	"There's another string in this file, but it's in comments."

Is the point clear?  I'm looking for an executable that knows enough C
(or Pascal, ...) syntax to isolate string constants, and echo them out
to a file (possibly stdout).

It's easy enough to write a grep or sed or grep script that finds all
lines with a couple of "-s in them, but I'm curious whether there is a
Better (more accurate, powerful, ...) Way.  Is there a standard, modern,
low-cost fashion for getting at the syntactic elements of C source?  If
I became adept at YACC, could I code this up in two minutes?  Is there a
public-domain C parser that everyone uses to construct filters such as I
have in mind?  Has Harry Spencer written an awk program that does this,
or will emacs give it to me if I type CTL-\-ESC-ALT-&-F7-...?
--

Cameron Laird		USA 713-579-4613
cl at lgc.com		USA 713-996-8546