Orange book levels for HP-UX versions

Tony Rhodes cszrhodes at qut.edu.au
Tue Feb 19 08:50:05 AEST 1991

First of all, apologies if you have seen this message before and/or some of
my test posts. Having some problems with the mailer.

At the moment I am working on a paper with some other people concerning the
security of HP-UX. The paper is along the theme of evaluating the security
provided by HP-UX from a non-privileged user perspective using the criteria
discussed in the European "White Book", Information Technology Security
Evaluation Criteria (ITSEC).

What we wish to verify are the claimed TCSEC "Orange Book" ratings for
HP-UX 6.0  C1 ??
HP-UX 7.0  C2 ??
HP-UX 8.0  >C2 ????

Also, can anyone verify if and when HP recieved its certificate with the
appropriate rating and official seal from the NCSC for each of these
versions.

Finally, what security changes/additions did HP have to make to HP-UX to
achieve each of the ratings for the particular versions.

I will post a summary of responses to the net if sufficient interest is
shown.

Please reply by direct e-mail.

Thank you in advance.