need help setting up dial-in and -out on same modem in SunOS 4.1

Colonel Panic aland at infmx.informix.com
Wed Feb 13 11:24:51 AEST 1991

The hardware:  Sun Sparcstation IPC running SunOS 4.1.1
               Regular IPC serial port A in RS423 mode
               Microcom QX/4232hs 9600 baud MNP10 modem

I'd like to use this modem for both dial-out and dial-in for tip,
uucp, etc. usage.  I have dial-out working OK (speed adjusting OK, MNP
detecting OK, etc.), but upon dial-ins, the modem either doesn't answer
at all or doesn't speed match properly.  Microcom Tech Support doesn't
have a clue about use with UNIX.  I've done similar set-ups on SVR3
systems before, where everything is done differently...

Does anybody have the right combination of modem parms/commands,
/etc/remote entry, ttytab entry, /dev entries (cua0, ttyd0, ttya),
and whatever else it takes to get this to work?  I've followed TFM
to what degree I can find things  )-:

Any help appreciated; thanks in advance.  Followups to
comp.unix.questions for want of a better idea...

--
Alan Denney  # aland at informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

At the time of Christ (A.D. 8), there were an estimated 6.338E29
Denneys weighing a cumulative 1.98E28 tons; lined up they were over
51 trillion light years long.
     Source:  the Denney Family News, Fall 1990, pp. 5