Ultrix -> 4.3BSD; Disk partitions

Tage Stabell-Kuloe tage at staff.cs.uit.no
Thu Feb 21 20:25:48 AEST 1991

Hardware:
	mVAX-II, 13 Mb, 2 * Wren IV  and a Wren V on Emulex controller
	emulating RA80.

I'm converting a mVAX-II from Ultrix 3.1 to 4.3BSD/Mach.  4.3 is now
running but only on ra0a (or if I dd(1) ra0 over to ra1 I can boot
from there). If I dd ra0 to ra1 I can fsck and mount ra1a, but no
other partition.

I don't have Ulrtrix' chpt(8), and my 586663-sectors RA80 isn't in the
4.3 kernel.

Under Ultrix I would have made partitions on ra1 (or even on ra0 if I
kept my head cool) with chpt(8), constructed entries in /etc/disktab
based on the partitions and made filesystems on them.

The Wren V is blank.  There is an entry in /etc/disktab called
ra80wrenv that will suite this disk.  How do I get filesystem written to
it, when newfs (mkfs that is) says write-error.  The disk is OK, I can
dd ra0 to it and boot from it.

Note - since I only can access ra[01]a I can't read in the sources (but
I do have them on-line elsewhere).

How do I
	0) do this on 4.3 ?
	1) Read the partition table from the disk (If it's there) ?
	2) Construct one ?

--
////      Tage Stabell-Kuloe            |e-mail   : tage at staff.cs.uit.no  ////
///Dept. of Computer Science, University|Official : postmaster at cs.uit.no  ///