Frequently Asked Questions about Unix - with Answers [Monthly posting]

Barry Margolin barmar at think.com
Thu Feb 7 12:04:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb6.173852.2888 at smsc.sony.com> dce at smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) writes:
>I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at.

I agree.  I don't think he was complaining about the FAQ list itself.  He
was complaining about Unix, because many of the things one would like to do
(as indicated by the fact that people frequently ask how) can't be done.

However, I think a comparable set of "you can't" answers could be made for
most systems, it's just the questions that would differ.  Every system has
limitations.

Also, I think many of the things he condensed to "you can't" were actually
"you can, but it's hard".  Also, just because many people ask how to do
something doesn't mean that it's an important thing to be able to do; the
question may come from ignorance, or simply assuming that something they
needed to do on a previous system would also be necessary on Unix.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar