RCS: System V vs. Berk. Unix

Mark Runyan runyan at hpcuhc.cup.hp.com
Fri Feb 8 05:47:46 AEST 1991

>/ jwreilly at mipos2.intel.com (Jeffrey Reilly) /  5:24 pm  Feb  5, 1991 /
>I have been trying to run Version 4 of RCS under System V, Version 3.2
>Unix. Apparently, RCS was developed under BSD Unix and thus the calls to
>the diff command in ci work differently then I would expect. Is there a
>new version of RCS or a known adjustment that will allow RCS to run on a
>System V system? Thanks!

On some systems that are AT&T based, RCS has a /usr/lib/rdiff and
/usr/lib/rdiff3 that it uses in place of the diff and diff3 commands.
These diff programs are usually derived from the Berkeley diff systems.

On the other hand, some versions of RCS seem to ship their own diff
along with them as part of their environment.  If you built your version
of RCS, you might check your source area to see if there is any diff
source that you can install in an area that RCS can reach.

Mark Runyan