Account Management Scripts?

Tim Kunau kunau at eiger.cray.com
Fri Feb 15 08:31:16 AEST 1991

Our department has begun to support on-site training
for our software products. The trainees are both from
Cray and third parties. This has greatly increased
our system account turn-over. It also opens our systems
to a greater security risk.

We run regular security audits. We run a tight ship
all the way around. But these training accounts pose
a new problem for us. We have set them up on a
physically isolated server to allow for round tape and
cartridge drive access. This system is not logically
isolated however, we're all sitting on basically the
same wire.

How do you handle training 'drones'?

What experiences have you had, good and bad;
are there do's and don'ts that we should be aware of?

Basically we do training account administration 'by-hand'.
I have written a few scripts to reset passwds and clear
/home directories, but how do you handle this?

I'm just fishing for ideas. Thanks.

Tim