csh levels

Roger Gonzalez rg at msel.unh.edu
Fri Feb 8 02:35:13 AEST 1991

I don't have anything that just prints your arbitrary csh level, but this
handles a couple important cases:

>From the default .cshrc I set up new users to source in /:
----
if ($?prompt == 0) exit
set user = `who am i | cut -d" " -f1 | cut -d\! -f2`
set host = `hostname`
set prefix = $host':'$user
set user2 = `whoami`
if ($user2 == 'root') then
  set suffix = '#'
else
  set suffix = '%'
endif
if ($user == $user2) then
  set prompt = $prefix$suffix' '
else
  set prompt = $prefix' ('$user2')'$suffix' '
endif
----
I realize that this is isn't quite what you want, but I've been asked for
this a couple times before.

-Roger

--
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
 than the question of whether a submarine can swim" - Edsgar W. Dijkstra