using connect for a udp server

Sean Coleman 497-5672 coleman at bldrdoc.gov
Mon Jul 1 13:49:49 AEST 1991

I am in the process of learning how to do network programming and
am using Steven's book Unix Network Programming. He mentions in
his book that one can use connect and then not have to use the
recvfrom and sendto system calls and instead, can use send and recv.

My question is this: I can see how the client program can do this
since their exist only "one" server address that the client can
connect to. How would the server program be able to use recv and send
instead of recvfrom and sendto in a udp program since the server
never knows what machine will be calling? Can the server use those
system calls or must it use sendto and recvfrom?

Thanks

Sean Coleman
NIST
.