berkeley ftp (was Re: socket (long))

Jim Burns gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU
Sun May 26 14:55:53 AEST 1991

In article <ADRIANHO.91May16024333 at barkley.berkeley.edu>, adrianho at barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) writes:

> As a side note, I can testify that ocf.berkeley.edu is a pretty flaky
> machine, so don't expect to be able to connect too often.

Yes, I've found this to be true also, but there are several nodes in the
berkeley system that all map to the same server which are much more
reliable. They all start with the names of natural disasters like
avalanche, ie - avalanche.berkeley.edu. From the first part of the top
level README file:

	--- Welcome to the OCF's Anonymous FTP service ---

This ftp site is operated by the Open Computing Facility (OCF) at the
University of California Berkeley.  For information about the OCF
mail to general-manager at ocf.berkeley.edu or finger @ocf.berkeley.edu.

You may ftp to any of the machines listed below.  They all access
the same ftp directory.  Use of the machine 'ocf' or 'typhoon' is
discouraged as that is our mail machine/gateway.

    avalanche   bigbang    blizzard   cyclone   drought  earthquake
    hailstorm   headcrash  lightning  locusts   monsoon  sandstorm
    tempest     tornado    tsunami    volcano   ocf	 typhoon
--
BURNS,JIM (returned student & Technology Dynamics staff member, an ATDC co.)
Georgia Institute of Technology, 30178 Georgia Tech Station,
Atlanta Georgia, 30332            | Internet: gt0178a at prism.gatech.edu
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0178a