How to find VERSION of UNIX OS

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Mon May 27 05:14:46 AEST 1991

>... and as my MKS toolkit manual notes uname comes to us
>from the AT&T flavor of UNIX (which makes SunOS a bit of a mystery -- I
>thought it was really AT&Sun but I don't have a Sun handy).

Why does it make it a bit of a mystery?  Different versions of SunOS
have different bits of S5 in them; some don't have "uname", some have it
in "/usr/5bin", and some have it in "/usr/bin".  It may also be, in
those versions of SunOS that have it, part of the "System V" optional
software category, which means you don't have it unless you install that
software category.