A couple of questions about Netland

Brian Fitzgerald fitz at mml0.meche.rpi.edu
Thu May 2 15:04:45 AEST 1991

Mohd Hanafiah Abdullah writes:
>Hi
>
>I would like to know who is the controlling body of the whole netland,

His name is Jonathan Kamens.  His answers to your other questions are
in an article that follows this one.  ;-)

              #  #    #   ####    #####
              #  #    #  #          #
              #  #    #   ####      #
              #  #    #       #     #
         #    #  #    #  #    #     #
          ####    ####    ####      #

 #    #     #    #####   #####      #    #    #   ####
 #   #      #    #    #  #    #     #    ##   #  #    #
 ####       #    #    #  #    #     #    # #  #  #
 #  #       #    #    #  #    #     #    #  # #  #  ###
 #   #      #    #    #  #    #     #    #   ##  #    #
 #    #     #    #####   #####      #    #    #   ####

OB answer:  Take a peek in the news.announce.newusers newsgroup if you
haven't done this already.

If the monthly articles have expired at your site and you can ftp, you
can get them by anonymous ftp from pit-manager.mit.edu, (courtesy
of Jonathan Kamens), in /pub/usenet/news.announce.newusers

If you don't have ftp, you can get the same articles by e-mail, and
maybe someone else will post how to do it.

>From the news.announce.newusers Frequently Asked Questions list:

26.  What is UUNET?

     UUNET is a non-profit communications service designed to provide
     access to USENET news, mail, and various source archives at low
     cost by obtaining volume discounts.  Charges are calculated to
     recover costs.

     For more information send your US mail address to
     info at uunet.uu.net (uunet!info).

Other monthly postings that answer many of your questions include:

A_Guide_to_Social_Newsgroups_and_Mailing_Lists
A_Primer_on_How_to_Work_With_the_Usenet_Community
Alternative_Newsgroup_Hierarchies
Answers_to_Frequently_Asked_Questions
Emily_Postnews_Answers_Your_Questions_on_Netiquette
Hints_on_writing_style_for_Usenet
How_to_Create_a_New_Newsgroup
How_to_Create_a_New_Trial_Newsgroup
How_to_Get_Information_about_Networks
Introduction_to_news.announce
List_of_Active_Newsgroups
List_of_Moderators
List_of_Periodic_Informational_Postings
Publicly_Accessible_Mailing_Lists
Regional_Newsgroup_Hierarchies
Rules_for_posting_to_Usenet
USENET_Software:_History_and_Sources

--
We need to secure as many banks in our computer banks as possible.  We
don't want no one else's help, but yours.  Miller's Comsumer Service