changing a file

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Wed May 22 08:39:55 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of KJB6 at psuvm.psu.edu:
:
:As a script, I would like to search a file and replace a string with
:another string. I know this can be done, but I have not figure out how to
:do it yet. Anyone have any suggestions. I think if I use awk or nawk somewhere
:along the line, I can get it done.

I believe the easiest, most flexible, and most powerful solution would
be along these lines:

    perl -p -i.ORIG -e 's/old/new/g' file1 file2 ...

This will globally replace all instances of "old" with "new" in
all listed files, keeping a backup copy in file1.ORIG, etc.  Omit
the ".old" part if you're brave enough.

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen		tchrist at convex.com	convex!tchrist