Why is finger so stupid?

Robert Duff rduff at cse.uta.edu
Thu May 2 00:04:38 AEST 1991

I have noticed that almost every UNIX machine in the world has a problem
with the amount of time a user has been logged in.  Very regularly,
finger reports that someone has been logged in for 147 days!  I know that
can't be true because the machine was only booted 25 minutes ago!
At first I thought that this was a quirk of our SPARC station, but then
I noticed it on our NeXT as well.  After fingering several people I know
at various other sites, the problem seems fairly wide spread.

Any idea what's wrong?

He wants some Angry Young Men,                | Robert Duff
Ones who can't be bought,                     | Automation & Robotics Research
Ones who will not run from a fight!           | Institute - (817) 794-5957
                           -- Randy Stonehill | rduff at cse.uta.edu