using tee program with tar output

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sat May 11 12:25:28 AEST 1991

In article <26841 at adm.brl.mil> gautier at taclg.af.mil (Sgt Richard Gautier) writes:
>Good luck.  I tried to call AT&T about getting the tee program to accept
>stdin to whatever program it was running.  I called them at their software
>support hotline, and asked them if there was any OTHER way I could do it
>as well.  No luck.
>   What I was trying to do was do a tee sh in every user's .profile
>so that I could tape their on-line sessions into a file in their
>$HOME.   If you ever find an answer for Sys V 3.2.2, please tell me.
>  Sorry it wasn't an answer, but it is what I have been told (it is
>supposedly impossible, without the source for tee, I can't check this
>out, though).

I have several problems with what you said; the main one is the whole
idea of somebody interfering with user .profiles like that.  Anyway,
"tee" is the wrong tool to try to use for such purposes, so it's no
wonder you haven't find any way to use it for that purpose.  If you can
find an implementation of "script", it is probably what you want.

The original requestor wanted to direct a process's stdout and stderr
into a pipe; never mind whether or not "tee" was reading the pipe --
that is irrelevant.  It is obvious how to do this:

	whatever 2>&1 | ...