Unix vs Novell (HA..)

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Wed May 8 05:31:08 AEST 1991

In article <42078 at cup.portal.com> scarroll at cup.portal.com (Scott A Carroll) writes:
>  Well this should spur a debate.  I need a little help convincing our more
>then brain dead MIS people to STAY with Unix.

It's no longer necessary to choose one or the other.  You can get software
from AT&T, HP and others that will let a unix box act as a Lan-Manager
compatible server to be accessed from DOS or OS/2 clients (AT&T also
supports MACs).  Similar setups should be workable using NFS/PC-NFS
or portable netware/Novell.  A PC makes sense on most user's desktops
and can be used for terminal emulation over your network for the things
that can't be done under DOS.  Likewise unix makes sense for the servers
since you can have daemon processes magically delivering things to
the users files or mailboxes.

I've had experience with AT&T's StarGroup product - can anyone comment
on any of the other networking solutions or compare the features?

Les Mikesell
 les at chinet.chi.il.us