network IPC on SVR3.2

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Mon May 6 15:43:36 AEST 1991

In article <26788 at adm.brl.mil> J03K%DHBRRZ41.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>i have to write a software that contains of several parts
>runing on different machines .
>all machines are linked together via ethernet (SYS V 3.2).
>my problem is that the only
>ipc i know is that where all processes on the same machine.

If you have SOME utility that can be used from the shell to invoke
commands on remote systems, e.g. "rexec" or "remsh", then you can use
that as a basis for initiating the remote process, after which you
can exchange data on the stdin/stdout of the remote process.  The
main drawback to this is that most implementations of "remsh" and the
remote shell daemon are horribly inefficient, context-switching
several times per transmitted byte.  There are also a lot of details
to take care of, such as methods of binary data interchange between
heterogeneous systems.

For BRL's MUVES project I developed a package of code specifically for
this kind of use, the "Dx" package, and I've mailed you a shell archive
of that that I happened to have sitting around.  It will probably
require a modest amount of effort to port outside the MUVES context,
but it serves as a useful starting place.