using cd command in a file

MUHAMMAD A. MUQUIT muquit at garfield.ncat.edu
Tue May 21 06:19:23 AEST 1991

In article <1991May20.155136.25162 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> Charles Blair writes:

>   I would like to get to a directory /me/A/B/C/D by just typing j.  I tried
>creating a file j with cd /me/etc in it, then chmod +x j.  It didn't work.
>Thanks in advance.  I'm sure I'm overlooking something well-known.

You can do the job if you put this line in your .login file:
     alias j 'cd /me/A/B/C/D'

I'm also curious why your way didn't work.  I think  there're lots of gurus
out there to answer this.

Muhammad A. Muquit
Graduate Student                        Office: 126 Graham Hall
Dept. of Civil Engineering              Phone: (919) 334-7737-53
North Carolina A&T State University
Greensboro, NC 27411