Unix vs Novell (HA..)

Ajay Shah ajayshah at alhena.usc.edu
Wed May 8 14:05:39 AEST 1991

In article <1991May07.193108.15803 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <42078 at cup.portal.com> scarroll at cup.portal.com (Scott A Carroll) writes:
>>  Well this should spur a debate.  I need a little help convincing our more
>>then brain dead MIS people to STAY with Unix.
>
>It's no longer necessary to choose one or the other.  You can get software
>from AT&T, HP and others that will let a unix box act as a Lan-Manager
>compatible server to be accessed from DOS or OS/2 clients (AT&T also
>supports MACs).  Similar setups should be workable using NFS/PC-NFS
>or portable netware/Novell.  A PC makes sense on most user's desktops

Integrating Lan Manager, Unix, OS/2 etc. is a nightmare.  A
million little things matter -- 2nd decimal places of various
version numbers etc.  Better to do a simple Unix NFS as the major
backbone of all computing and disk storage.  The only smoothly
humming class of PC-Unix integration products is PC-NFS (by Sun
or others).  The rest are a pain (e.g., PC as X terminal, NFS
client to Novell server, anything to do with a Microsoft product,
etc.).

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah at usc.edu
                             The more things change, the more they stay insane.