using cd command in a file

Simon Grouchy Babes Chapman chapmns at motcid.UUCP
Thu May 23 18:35:03 AEST 1991

In article <1991May20.155136.25162 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ceblair at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charles Blair) writes:

>   I would like to get to a directory /me/A/B/C/D by just typing j.  I tried
>creating a file j with cd /me/etc in it, then chmod +x j.  It didn't work.
>Thanks in advance.  I'm sure I'm overlooking something well-known.

Surely executing this shell script will spawn a new process, and for the
process itself, the directory will alter, but the effects of the change
will not be exported to the parent process; the shell you run the script
from. I don't think that it is possible to do this using a script in the
way you mean, but two alternatives exist that I know of :

For c-shell: use an alias :

	alias	j	"cd /me/A/B/C/D"

For Bourne Shell: use a function :

	j() { cd /me/A/B/C/D ; }

Both of these do NOT spawn another process to do their stuff.

If anyone else can show us both how to do an "export cwd > parent.proc."
I'd be interested.

Cheers,
	thimon