PDP-11 emulation on SPARC?

der Mouse mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Mon May 13 19:35:23 AEST 1991

In article <429 at vine.OsbuSouth.Xerox.COM>, hamilton at vine.OsbuSouth.Xerox.COM (Bruce Hamilton) writes:
> Unix had its early growth on PDP-11's.  The group where I currently
> work still develops software in MACRO-11 running under RSX11M.  It
> would be extremely useful to have a PDP-11 emulator running under
> SunOS 4.1.

Interestingly, I have been working on a PDP-11 emulator and recently
finished adding virtual memory hardware to it.  I hope to get it to the
point where I can boot V7 or 2.10BSD on it....

> I suppose the big-endian vs. little-endian problem could be a slight
> hassle.

That is actually the least of the problems.  Much more significant are
the different floating-point formats and the big one: speed.  (My
current version blazes right along at about 5-10 KIPS.  K, not M.)

If you really want a copy, I can send you one, but I don't have it in
release shape yet.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu