accessing make(1) arguments

Paul Barton-Davis pauld at cs.washington.edu
Sat May 4 08:53:11 AEST 1991

is there any way to access the arguments (not just the option flags)
passed to make ? I'm trying to do a heirarchical make, but need to be
able to pass along command line definitions of make macros. If anyone
has a better way to do this than accessing make's arguments, that
would do to.

As a shell script, it would be something like

foo:
	make $(MAKEARGS) -f makefile.$(foo)

This is for a system where there are multiple makefiles for different
architectures, and I want to be able to say "make BLAH=BLETCH foo".

thanx

--
Paul Barton-Davis <pauld at cs.washington.edu> UW Computer Science Lab

"People cannot cooperate towards common goals if they are forced to
 compete with each other in order to guarantee their own survival."