A question about read() system call!!

Shane Bouslough shane at inferno.peri.com
Thu May 30 04:08:40 AEST 1991

	akira at atson.asahi-np.co.jp (Akira Takiguchi) speaks too soon:

>>If the file is not open yet, you can specify the O_NDELAY option when you
>>open the file.
>
>      This has nothing to do with the problem.  It makes open(2) non-blocking
> but not read(2).

BZZZZZZZZZZZ! <- game show buzzer

And the Manual looketh upon O_NDELAY and spake:

OPEN(2)
	O_NDELAY This flag may affect subsequent reads and writes. See
	read(2) and write(2).

READ(2)
	When attempting to read from an empty pipe (or FIFO):
		If O_NDELAY is set, the read will return a 0.
		If O_NDELAY is clear, the read will block until data
		is written to the file or the file is no longer
		open for writing.

And the Manual saw that O_NDELAY was good.

--
Shane Bouslough    |  ...!rutgers!mcdhup!inferno!shane           516-467-0500
Periphonics Corp.  |                                             Ride Bike!