script question

Chet Ramey chet at odin.INS.CWRU.Edu
Tue May 14 01:35:12 AEST 1991

In article <42993 at netnews.upenn.edu> pravin at eniac.seas.upenn.edu writes:

>>			echo "Read news[CR=yes/n] \c"
>>			read ans
>>			if [ ! "$ans" ]
>>				etc,etc.
>
>This does not work for me in my .profile file.  I get an error at the
>first line.  BTW, my login shell is bash.  Does this script not work
>with bash, or I am doing something wrong.

The bash built-in echo is a 10th Edition Unix-style echo; it needs the
-e flag to enable backslash-escaped character interpretation.  This
should work for you:

                     echo -n "Read news[CR=yes/n] "
                     read ans
                     if [ ! "$ans" ]
                              etc,etc.

Chet

--
Chet Ramey			  Internet: chet at po.CWRU.Edu
Case Western Reserve University	  NeXT Mail: chet at macbeth.INS.CWRU.Edu

``Now,  somehow we've brought our sins back physically -- and they're pissed.''