Unix vs Novell (HA..)

Orville R. Weyrich orville at weyrich.UUCP
Wed May 8 15:14:51 AEST 1991

In article <42078 at cup.portal.com> scarroll at cup.portal.com (Scott A Carroll) writes:

>  Well this should spur a debate.  I need a little help convincing our more
>then brain dead MIS people to STAY with Unix.  Here is the problem, 3 years

[sad but painfully true story deleted]

My first approach would be to sing the praises of AIX, which as everyone knows
is an IBM (can't do no wrong) product. After you sell that, point out that
AIX is interoperable with your current hardware/software (Unix). Also point out
how AIX (and Unix) can be interoperable with lots of other hardware.

I seem to recall that Novell had announced recently some kind of way to make
Unix talk to Novell. If this is true, you might try a "have your cake and eat
it too" approach to sell sticking with Unix for the core system and Novell
for the periphery. [If you do research Unix/Novell interoperability, I would
be interested in hearing your results].

Hope this helps, and please keep me informed of your continuing saga.

Orville R. Weyrich, Jr., Ph.D.                   Certified Systems Professional
Internet: orville%weyrich at uunet.uu.net             Weyrich Computer Consulting
Voice:    (602) 391-0821                         POB 5782, Scottsdale, AZ 85261
Fax:      (602) 391-0023                              (Yes! I'm available)