awk's ARGV and ARGC variables

wendy.grohol wsg at cbnewsk.cb.att.com
Fri May 3 05:45:30 AEST 1991

A co-worker was trying to use a program that has the ARGV and ARGC
variables in an awk program which wouldn't work.

I tried examples from the Awk Programming Language book and some
awk documents I have that used ARGV and/or ARGC and about all
they do is produce newlines.

Can ARGV and ARGC be used for anything? Can someone send me even
a simple example that works?

In the documentation I have, the information on those variables
is short and doesn't go into any detail.

Any useful information or working examples are appreciated.

					Thanks,
					Wendy