A Pipe Question

der Mouse mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Thu May 30 19:39:34 AEST 1991

In article <16262 at smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <1991May24.025917.18874 at csc.canberra.edu.au> rvp at softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) writes:
>> Suppose if the child has written something into the pipe and exited,
>> could the parent still read what has been written by the child from
>> the reading end of the pipe even if the child is already dead?
> Sure, unless somebody has badly broken your implementation of UNIX.

On a similar note, I find that Sun seems to have broken ptys along
similar lines in recent releases (ie, >=4.0): if the slave side has
experienced its last close, any buffered data is thrown away after some
delay[%], even when the parent side is kept open more or less
indefinitely.  (This causes problems with our local emacs variant; when
it's suspended with a compile going, compile output is lost if it isn't
resumed before or soon enough after the compile finishes.)

Grrr.  Works fine on 3.5 and real BSD.

[%] The delay is more than about fifteen seconds but less than a few
    minutes.  I haven't bothered to pin it down more precisely.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu