Symbolic link

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Tue May 21 13:26:01 AEST 1991

In article <9105200532.AA27396 at csufres.CSUFresno.EDU> quang at CSUFRES.CSUFRESNO.EDU (Quang Ngo) writes:
>If someone were to make a symbolic link to my account (if I accidentally
>left it opened), then how do I know?  How would I remove it?

The question makes no sense.  You do not "leave an account opened" on UNIX.
A symbolic link can name any target, whether or not it exists or is
protected against access.  The target of a symbolic link, if it exists, is
not modified in any way.  To find symbolic links to a designated path, you
would have to search the entire hierarchical file system, and to do a
thorough job of that you'd need superuser privileges.  You can remove any
entry from any directory for which you have write permission, using the
"rm" utility.

Do any of these facts help answer whatever your question REALLY was?