A question about read() system call!!

Kartik Subbarao subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Thu May 23 23:02:28 AEST 1991

In article <1361 at anprda.atson.asahi-np.co.jp> akira at anprda.atson.asahi-np.co.jp (Akira Takiguchi) writes:

>>If the file is not open yet, you can specify the O_NDELAY option when you
>>open the file.
>
>     This has nothing to do with the problem.  It makes open(2) non-blocking
>but not read(2).

Not on all types of machines. From our open(2v) man page: (SunOS 4.1.1)

     If the O_NDELAY or O_NONBLOCK flag  is  set  on  a  call  to
     open(),   the  corresponding  flag  is  set  for  that  file
     descriptor (see fcntl(2V)) and subsequent reads  and  writes
     to   that  descriptor  will  not  block  (see  read(2V)  and
     write(2V)).

		-Kartik

--
internet% ypwhich

subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU -| Internet
kartik at silvertone.Princeton.EDU (NeXT mail)
SUBBARAO at PUCC.BITNET			          - Bitnet